"For many of us, the winter holidays are less a time to participate in traditional Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/etc. cheer, and more an opportunity to leverage other people’s important celebrations into a means of just getting a damn vacation."
Yak shaving is a good term. Sometimes I feel like alot of adulthood is yak shaving.
Tales of Adulthood
Today I had a sandwich for two out of three meals today.
"Career is the thing that will not fill you up and never make you truly whole. Depending on your career is like eating cake for breakfast and wondering why you start crying an hour later."
- another quote from Yes Please by Amy Poehler, from the chapter titled "treat your career like a bad boyfriend"
"I know my body feels older. I recently hurt myself on a treadmill and it wasn't even on."
- Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Holidays To-Do List
- get into the holiday spirit
- listen to Christmas music on loop
- send holiday cards
- figure out what friends on in town and make plans with them
- emotionally prepare for having Christmas dinner with extended family
On Re-watching Batman Forever: As a kid versus an adult
The relevant difference between Kid-Amy and Adult-Amy is that Adult-Amy has read ALOT more Batman comics.
- I can see why this would make a good kids movie and bad movie for older comic book nerds. For kids there are neon-brite colors and living toys (i.e. the new Batmobile) and Dick Grayson/Robin is like the cool older boy next door. Comic book nerds might hate this movie because elements from the comic books had been distilled and over-simplified into caricatures. At times the movie seems like merchandising fodder (like how do the tommy guns need neon lights?). The movie oscillates between campy and serious. Bruce Wayne/Batman is dour compared to the villians. Joel Schumacher should've committed to one approach wholeheartedly.
- Bat nipples
- Dick Grayson/Robin is too old! It’s weird when Alfred and Bruce refer to Chris O' Donnel as a boy or a kid.
- Though there is a point to be made that if they showed a live-action Dick Grayson/Robin that was closer to 12 years old, it would be hard to believe that Batman wasn't nuts for endangering the life of a young boy.
- At least they didn't spend too much time on the Batman origin story (again).
- “Chase Meridian” is a Bond Girl name.
- She is totally leading poor Bruce Wayne along; it’s obvious to Bruce that she's really into Batman and not Bruce. Why is he doing this to himself?
- I didn’t understand the scene where Bruce Wayne muttered to himself that he "killed them (Robin's parents)'. Maybe he felt guilty about being unable to save them?
- This Dick Grayson laundry-fu scene is so contrived. I get that they wanted to show he knows how to fight, but I find it hard to believe that is how he really does his laundry. Maybe he was just trying to impress Alfred?
- Tommy Lee Jones is really hamming it up and I don't hate it.
- I don’t like this origin story about the Riddler. In the comics, Riddler is not as nuts as the rest of Batman's rogue gallery, and that’s what makes his stories kind of interesting. But nope, they made The Riddler kind of boring; generic kind of nuts.
... and then I stopped watching. The whole sequence of scenes with Dick joyriding the Batmobile, blaming Batman on his parents' death, and him begging Batman to take down Two Face together is so cringe worthy.
This naughty shoujo manga that I'm reading is my 50 Shades of Grey
I just wish the covers weren't so rape-y
It makes it awkward to borrow the manga from the library, which is unfortunate because I do not want to buy all 18 volumes.
DONUTS DONUTS DONUTS DONUTS
December 6, 2013
I ate donuts for the last three days (artisanal donuts, because BROOKLYN). This is a good/bad thing.
I have found my coffee drink.
French-pressed Kona Coffee
Tom says Kona is too mild. WHATEVER TOM.
Real-life episode of GIRLS
At a writers meet and greet and stuffing your face with free lox sandwiches while talking to the editor of a prestigious publication.
A publication that you've been pitching to FOR YEARS.
I usually get into the holiday spirit too late. When it's over, I always get sad that the holidays are over.
4:26pm December 4, 2014